Mark Abis on Facebook    Mark ABis on Last.fm    Mark Abis on Soundcloud    Emily Barker on Twitter    Mark Abis on You Tube   

Saturday 23 March 2013

9. With The Band at The Old Bookshop in Bristol



The Old Bookshop is a tastefully decorated and quirky venue with lots of interesting and unusual details for example a row of fifties typewriters on the wall and a chandelier above the bar made of brass instruments.
Ben, the proprietor, tells me he trusted his instincts when designing the place and as the night progresses its popularity is a testimony that he was right in doing so.
The band and I converge from our various directions and share a table with Lydia, Richard, her Dad and his Wife. It is a warm and friendly gathering and the mood is excitedly good with lots of laughter.
Genie brings in a huge rolled up scroll, looking like 


 parchment on which she has lovingly written the chorus for 'Waiting For The Cavalry', the idea being that at the right moment we will have the audience singing along.
We are served plate upon plate of different dishes of deliciously prepared food which include mussels with squid ink, piri piri chicken, salt cod mash and many other wonderful things.


An old acquaintance form Goring on Thames, where I played years ago, turns up with a friend and his wife from nearby. It's a good feeling that people have come to hear the music.
By the time we go on the place is pretty well packed and very noisy.
Fabs and I have some tuning issues but Jim seems to be really on it tonight bringing startling fills I have not heard him play before. though it is a struggle to play in front of such a noisy crowd I am aware that a large proportion of them are trying to follow the music and as we progress, many turn and gather in front of the stage to watch and listen, some of them dancing.


It is a completely different experience to play with the band and something I enjoy very much. We all come from strikingly different walks of life and bring something which, as a sum, is strong and lively.
When the moment comes, half way into the second half, Genie reminds me about 'Waiting For The Cavalry'. it is very good timing on her part, for the audience have warmed to us.
As the parchment is rolled out I explain what is going to happen.
Amazingly I hear the chorus of this song echoing around The Old Bookshop, a new experience for me, It is riotous, I love it.
At the end of our set there are shouts for more, I decide to do a solo 'Something 'Bout You' but it's a quiet one and I'm feeling the need for silence.
Something happens, I start saying in the microphone ..
"What you saying?"
I'm genuinely asking everyone what they are saying.
They all stop talking.
It's a very striking moment after several hours of non stop noise.
Someone in front who has not been listening to the music, his attention being understandably on a pretty oriental girl asks what I am saying.
I say "I'm saying what you saying, what you saying?"
This brings tension in the room and the interest increases, there is potential conflict.
He repeats "What you saying?"
The Room is absolutely silent
I say "How about I sing you a song?"
And so I start 'Somethin' 'Bout You' 
The notes hang in the air like slowly moving bubbles. For three minutes we are all in silent slow motion.
As the last note dies the place explodes and Mr. 'what you saying' gives me a nod.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free....

To leave a comment