Mark Abis on Facebook    Mark ABis on Last.fm    Mark Abis on Soundcloud    Emily Barker on Twitter    Mark Abis on You Tube   

Saturday 23 March 2013

8. Woods Wine bar. Yeovil

Friday afternoon.
By this stage I'm starting to feel quite tired.  Lydia prepares a fantastic lunch with the pies from Bromsgrove with mash and peas with a bottle of cider from Pete at the Hop Pole.
Then I try to sleep for an hour or so before leaving for Yeovil.
The weather is miserable, just rain, rain. It's dark by the time I get to woods wine bar.
Chris greets me and we do a quick sound check. the PA seems quite good but neither of us know how to use it very well. We get something of a sound. The acoustics of the venue are such that even just two or three people talking is enough to create a substantial noise.
This will be a tough gig and I prepare myself for an hour and a half of playing to a wall of sound.
A couple of people on the table in front of me turn their heads to listen and must like it because they buy a Cd at half time.
I get talking to Charlie who has come down to see me play, he writes about music in several journals. During our conversation it turns out he graduated as a sound engineer; needless to say the second half sounds a lot better, he likes the music, buys a Cd and takes several more to give to venues in New York where he is going soon.
At the end I pick up my fee and Kenny asks if I will come back to play again. At first I am reluctant but he convinces me that another Friday would be worth a go. On the way home I consider that it might be a better gig with the band.
Charlie writes a lovely review of this gig,  He should have been at The Hop Pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free....

To leave a comment